A journey through fifty books in one year, with quick reviews as I go.

Monday, January 16, 2012

1/50: A Clash of Kings


Book: A Clash of Kings (Song of Ice and Fire #3)
Author: George R. R. Martin
Rating: *****

So far I am loving this series. I don't have a whole lot to say, because I feel like anything I could say would really fall far short of describing how I feel about this work. The characters are so well developed, the world is something you can totally get immersed in, it's just brilliant.

However, I will give everyone reading this series and this book the same advice I got from a friend before I started. Try your very hardest not to get attached to anyone. There is not a single character in this book you should trust to be "safe". You know what I mean. You're reading a story, important character gets into a tough situation and you think "Oh, they'll be okay, the author would never kill off anyone this important!" If you've gotten this far you should definitely see how that logic TOTALLY does not apply here. I won't say any more, I don't want to get spoilery!

Definitely recommend this series to anyone who likes a long story full of intrigue, war, love, life, death, betrayal, a smidgen of fantasy, and plenty of totally jaw dropping moments.  I can't wait to get in to the 4th book (A Feast for Crows) before bed tonight!

2 comments:

  1. That was good advice. I probably think so because I have given the same to several people interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY good advice. Granted, I only started reading them (after several years of urging from my husband) after seeing the HBO series, so I definitely already had an idea of what to expect as far as "OMG, I CAN'T BELIEVE THE AUTHOR DID THAT!!!" moments, but nothing anyone has ever said about the series has served me better.

      Delete