A journey through fifty books in one year, with quick reviews as I go.

Friday, February 24, 2012

3/50 A Dance With Dragons


Book: A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #5)
Author: George R. R. Martin
Rating: *****


I finished this book in the wee hours of this morning and pretty much all I can still say about it is, "Wait...WHAT!?!"

There are so many loose ends that need to be wrapped up and the next book isn't due for nearly 3 years according to Martin.

This book was very similar to the last one, but I have to say that the fact that the first third of the book starts out at about the same place as the last book, filling you in on other character views of some of the exact same scenes as the beginning of the last book, was really confusing to wrap my head around at first. I had a few "Wait, but they aren't there, how is this happening!?" moments before I got used to what was going on. Just about the same time I got used to that idea, everything was caught up and the story line as a whole was progressing again.

Same basic caveats as the last book, people die, don't get attached, etc.  Other than that I really don't have anything constructive to say about the book. I love them, can't wait to figure out how things will work themselves out, and in the meantime I'm glad for the HBO series to help tide me over!

I do have to say though, as much as I loved these books, reading them all one right after the other like this was a LOT of work for my brain. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them all a lot, I'm just definitely ready to move along to something that will give my brain a bit of a break. I need a simple storyline for the next few books I read!

No comments:

Post a Comment