A journey through fifty books in one year, with quick reviews as I go.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

3/50

Book: Unwind
Author: Neal Shusterman
Rating: *****

Review: Reading the summaries for this book, I had a hard time thinking that it was something I would get as in to as I did. Most simple summaries make it sound very much like it's a plot line that could quickly spiral down into the world of teen-angst and woe-is-me lackluster characters that so many otherwise very good YA novel plots sink.

This book is anything but that! Unwind is so incredibly thought provoking; so full of such vivid language, imagery, and characters with a great amount of depth, that every impossible idea Shusterman sets before you becomes quite terrifyingly believable in the incredibly and horrifyingly tangible future world he has created.

I picked this book up and only put it down because I had to sleep. When I woke up in the morning I went straight back to it. A whole second book later and I'm still thinking back to some of the questions and topic raised in Undwind.

I am incredibly hopeful that this will turn into a series or a trilogy (based on the "Unwind #1" designation)!

No comments:

Post a Comment